Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:17:23 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Gyori Sandor <gyori@szit.bme.hu>
Cc:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nsswitch dynamically loadable modules

Gyori Sandor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your detailed explanation, I'm sure it will be great.
>
> I have some short questions:
>
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
>
> >   = I  extended  the  implementation  to  support  dynamically  loaded
> >     sources, and ported nss_ldap to use the invented interface.  These
> >     are the patches you referred to.   This was a prototype to help me
> >     understand the issues.   They will never be  committed, and should
> >     not be used in production.
>
> By applying these patches (nsswitch & nss_ldap) did you get a proper
> working authentication via LDAP? I applied them, but system doesn't know
> LDAP's user names. This is my fault or I should even not try this way?

This is probably why it wont be committed.  If it uses dlopen() then it
cannot work for the statically linked /bin/ls, /bin/sh, etc.  Anything in /
sbin or /bin will never be able to see the usernames.  If you built the
entire system with NOSHARED=NO, then /bin/ls, /bin/sh etc will be dynamically
linked and the patches will probably work.  However, you had better have
/usr on your root (/) file system or you wont be able to boot.  Linux's
solution is to put the ld.so and libc.so onto the / partition in /lib.

Cheers,
-Peter