Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:02:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Mikulas Patocka <mikulas@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patented algorithm in FreeBSD

:> So it looks like we have prior art by around 6 years, which would
:> invalidate the patent iff it was the same thing.
:
:Does it mean that the algorithm is free to use by everyone or free to use
:only in freebsd? I would like to implemet these page table back pointers
:too and I'm scared by the patent... I don't know how US patent system
:works.
:
:Mikulas

    It is free for use by anyone.  You always have to worry about auxilary
    claims, though... for example, if there are 20 claims and 10 of them
    have prior art, then anyone can use the algorithms that have prior art
    but *might* *not* be able to modify them if the modifications match
    a claim that does not have prior art.  On the whole, however, if the
    primary claims in a patent have prior art, the whole patent has a good
    chance of being invalidated if the patent holders challenge.

    The key thing with patents is that they are meaningless until the
    patent holder decides to protect them in court by challenging the
    people who are supposedly in violation of the patent.  If a patent
    holder decides to go after you, it can be costly even if you win.

    On the flip side, patent holders have to be careful who they go after
    because if they lose, their entire patent goes down the drain.  Patent
    holders usually go after larger companies that they think might fold
    rather then go to court.  In this case I would judge that the patent
    holder would be utterly stupid to go after anyone in regards to this
    particular patent, because the prior art is so obvious.  But, then
    again, this guy patented something that had prior art for years before
    his patent so maybe he's just that stupid :-(

						-Matt