Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:20:42 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alpha support

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 11:52:05AM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

>  > > Only if he's both persistant and lucky.  We really need somebody from
>  > > the doc team to make http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/alpha.html at
>  > > least somewhat useful.  Its rather ironic that, as the only fully

I've been asked by David (obrien) a long time ago to consider doing this.
Sofar I did not have the time to do so.

>  > > "working" non x86 port, alpha has the worst web site.  Even a link to
>  > > HARDWARE.TXT would be a vast improvement.
>  >
>  > Uh huh.  You don't get away with it that easily :-)
>
> I didn't intend to.  I'd hoped to provoke a response from somebody in
> the doc team ;)
>
>  > If there are problems with the page, please suggest concrete fixes -- I
>  > don't know of any active members of the -doc team that are that familiar
>  > with the Alpha platform -- the developer's need to lend a hand as well.
>
> And other than Wilko, I don't know any alpha developers that are
> familiar with how the -doc team works and/or how the website is
> maintained.  Therein lies the problem.

Right. Given the limited number of -alpha folks their combined energy is
not nearly as abundant as the x86 folks. I'd rather see the bulk of them
crank out code and have me (for example) work on the docs. And that is
exactly what I have been doing, with the generous help of Bruce (bmah).

What I think is less than optimal is the number of tools one needs to
render sgml into something more readable (html, ps, pdf, txt). And that
those tools are outside the main src tree also does not help much.

How to get something onto www.freebsd is a complete mystery to me at
the moment, but I'm sure interested in finding out ;)

> I'd really like it to eventually look as good as NetBSD's alpha web
> page.  Most of the information required for something like that is
> already contained in Wilko's excellent HARDWARE.TXT document.

<flattered> ;)

If we could get the html rendered HARDWARE.TXT (it is actually named
different today but never mind) onto the web I would consider that to
be a good start.

Given that, I can probably crank out some sgml/html to glue things together.
Related (somewhat) question: can we handle pictures? Given my new digital
camera I was thinking of getting shots from the Alphas I have access to
and integrate those somehow.

cheers,
Wilko