Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:57:13 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Query:  How to tell if Microsoft is using BSD TCP/IP code?

I've had several marketing types approach me recently for details as
to whether or not Microsoft was using the BSD TCP/IP stack and/or user
utilities, and though it's always been "common knowledge" in the
community that they were, when I set about to "prove" it I found it to
be less easy than I'd thought.  I've strings'd various binaries and
DLLs in my copy of Windows 98 but have yet to find anything resembling
proof.  Does anyone out there have any details or discovery techniques
for confirming or disproving this assertion either way?  It would be
very useful (for us) from a PR standpoint to know.

Thanks!

- Jordan