Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:04:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mhagerty@voyager.net
Subject:   Re: Article: Network performance by OS

:> If you intend to push a system to its limits, you damn well better
:> be prepared to tune it properly or you are just wasting your time.
:> On any operating system.  You will never find joe-user running his
:> system into the ground with thousands of simultanious connections
:> and ten thousand files in a mail directory, so it's silly to
:> configure the system from a joe-user perspective.
:
:So every FreeBSD server requires an expensive admin to tune it?
:That Win2K solution is looking good now. :-)
:
:These admins now... they never quit their job at just the wrong

    Huh?  I'm talking about a reasonably smart 16 year old kid who bothers
    to spend a little time learning how a platform works.  I don't
    know what you are talking about.  Expensive sysadmin?  Where did that
    come from?  Any bozo with half a brain who has spent more then a week
    playing with FreeBSD in a serious way can tune it better then the idiots
    who ran the benchmark.

    A person who depends on the ability to run an out-of-the-box solution
    into the ground and actually expects it to perform well without having
    to know the first thing about the platform he is running his software
    on is a complete and utter idiot and the company that employs such a
    person has a hellofalot more to worry about then the performance of an
    untuned machine.

    The reality in the world is that most of these so-called benchmarks are
    meaningless.  This one happens to be worse then normal, especially when
    the less informed masses start quoting them.  People like me, who have
    actually HAD real unplanned loads smash into their FreeBSD boxes, know
    exactly how good FreeBSD is in handling those loads.  No contrived
    benchmark can match real world results.  I mean, give me a break,
    create and delete 10,000 files in a directory with softupdates turned
    off?  The only time I ever had more then 10,000 queue files in a directory
    was running BEST, supporting 30,000+ users and some insanely huge
    mailing lists.  Anyone actually running that kind of load had better be
    able to afford (or be) a sysop who at least knows his ass from a hot rock!

						-Matt