Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:42:36 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Junior Kernel Hacker tasks..

In message <XFMail.010622105201.jhb@FreeBSD.org> John Baldwin writes:
: 2) Build kernels in sys/compile/${MACHINE_ARCH}/FOO rather than sys/compile/FOO.

Please use ${MACHINE}, not ${MACHINE_ARCH}.  That way I can build
GENERIC for both i386 and pc98 at the same time without resorting to
the GENERIC98 hack I use now.

:    This is very helpful when you share the same sys/ tree across several
:    machines with different architectures.  For example, I share the same sys/
:    tree via NFS across almost all my testboxes including alpha and i386.  Every
:    time I want to compile GENERIC (I keep kernel.GENERIC up to date on my boxes)
:    as part of an installworld I have to go manipulate symlinks (and/or shuffle
:    directories around).  Fixing this would make life for the non-x86 centric
:    types a bit easier, although there'll probably be a big bikeshed over
:    changing the build directory.  *sigh*
:

I'd be up for doing this, so long as I got to choose where to build
into :-)

	sys/arch/${MACHINE}/compile/FOO

but that would start the arch bikeshed.  I'd love to just do it.

With powerpc, we are going to have a lot of different ports ala
i386/pc98 (that have the same MAHINCE_ARCH, but different MACHINE) if
NetBSD is any indication.

Warner