Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:09:53 +0200
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>
Subject:   Re: Sound driver changes between 4.2 and 4.3

Farooq Mela wrote:
> Hi -hackers,
>
> Several people have made it known to me that games such as Quake2
> which ran fine with sound under the 4.2 kernel are not able to have
> sound in 4.3.  I have verified this myself - with quake2 under 4.3
> ktrace reports that opening /dev/dsp fails with EBUSY - even though
> nothing is using /dev/dsp and other programs are able to open it and
> play sound just fine immediately afterwards.  Under 4.2 on the same
> machine, open()ing /dev/dsp is successful and sound functions.
> Figuring out what's going wrong is further complicated by the fact
> that these are linux binaries and run under the linux emulator.  Could
> it be the linux emulator messing something up, and not the sound card?
>
> Since this is an issue of the userland's interface to the sound driver
> and is not concerned with sound driver internals or driving a specific
> card (since this problem occurs regardless of sound card), I thought I
> might try and see if could fix the problem.  I've not done any kernel
> programming before, but I'd like to get my feet wet and this seems
> like a relatively small project.  Any pointers as to where to start?
> Anybody else run into similar problems and try to see what is going
> wrong?

I ran into these problems too.  On my -CURRENT system, I'm unable to get
sound with mtvp (running under Linux emulation), while it was working
before.

I've also seen a -STABLE box unable to open the /dev/dsp file (open
returns EBUSY) although both fstat and lsof didn't see any process with
this file opened.  This second problem was happening even when trying to
``cat /dev/dsp'' so it's probably not be related to the Linux emulation.

Hope it helps,
Maxime
--
Don't be fooled by cheap finnish imitations ; BSD is the One True Code
Key fingerprint = F9B6 1D5A 4963 331C 88FC  CA6A AB50 1EF2 8CBE 99D6