Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 08:03:51 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
To:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2nd ata drive, and resolv.conf options

 Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 15:43:21, LConrad (Len Conrad) wrote about "2nd ata drive, and resolv.conf options":

> I'm setting up a couple of outbound, high-volume mail gateways that need
> some kind fairly quick failover when their primary DNS is down, to use
> another DNS. The behavior available in some resolvers seems sufficient.
>
> I've seen resolv.conf options of such as attempts:4 and timeout:2 in the
> DNS & BIND book, etc but these are not in the 4.6R man resolv.conf page.

RTFS ;))

> Is there any other way in FreeBSD to set these resolver params?

You may use MTA config. E.g. sendmail does control these options with config:

# name resolver options
#O Timeout.resolver.retrans=5s
#O Timeout.resolver.retrans.first=5s
#O Timeout.resolver.retrans.normal=5s
#O Timeout.resolver.retry=4
#O Timeout.resolver.retry.first=4
#O Timeout.resolver.retry.normal=4

If you use another MTA, you can port sendmail's way to implement these

But I suppose better way is to pay much attention to choose and setup
named. I maintain two mail emitters with moderately high volume of mail;
with named 8.2.* default for FreeBSD, I need to restart named twice a day
via cron task, otherwise it hangs in a few days. With >10 requests per
second which require recursive search, named 8.2.3-release hangs up on
my systems in a hour or two (it stops to serve requests, doesn't crash).
Named 9.1.1 serves 20-30 such complicated requests per second without any
problems. System is 4.3-release.

/netch