Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 18:29:15 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, ru@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ifmcstat(8) setgidness

Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 01:29:28AM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

> > > $ ifmcstat
> > > kvm_openfiles: Permission denied
> >
> > I don't follow.  Yes, it needs access to kmem to work.  However, I
> > don't see why anyone other than root would need to run it, so why is
> > it setgid?  root can access kmem either way.
> >
> Could you please elaborate on why it should be restricted to root only?

Because it looks like it doesn't provide any information that anyone
other than the administrator would find useful (if I'm seeing things,
please let me know), and the less setgid programs in the system the
better our overworked security officer(s) sleep at night :-).

> OpenBSD's and NetBSD's commitlogs are too terse.

This is quite an understatement!

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org