Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 10:13:58 -0700
From:      "Greg Smith" <freebsd_mail@yahoo.com>
To:        key@network-alchemy.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hibernation on FreeBSD

Ken,

When you try Fn-F12 under FreeBSD do you get a sad beep, or no beep at
all?  A sad beep can mean one of three things:

you have a network or modem pcmcia card plugged in, or maybe any pcmcia
card

you don't have a proper "hibernation" file/partition where the BIOS
expects it

you do have a proper "hibernation" file/partition where the BIOS
expects it, but you have since added memory and it won't fit in the old
file/partition

Of course, if IBM neutered the BIOS in this area we can forget about
it.  I suggested to Oliver that he inquire to IBM and mention that he
wants to dual boot with Linux :) since they claim to support that in
many cases.

From what you and Karsten say it seems IBM may have disabled the old
BIOS method.  Do you pop straight into the restore from disk on power
up, or does the BIOS give you the choice of operating system first?
Which MBR (O/S selector) are you using?  Have you tried this with the
FreeBSD MBR, or is that even possible on this machine/BIOS combination?
 [All my experience is with the FreeBSD MBR.]

Greg