Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 09:46:15 -0700
From:      Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
To:        freebsd_mail@yahoo.com
Cc:        "Oliver Fischer" <nexus@fileseeker.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hibernation on FreeBSD

Hi Greg, Oliver,

IBM's Win2K installation hijacks the Fn-F12 combination to invoke the
Win2K Hibernation.  The ps2 ? hfile gives the general purpose error message
of "Type PS2 ?".  A ps2 ? shows a HIBernation option, but typing
"PS2 HIBernation" gives "This feature is not supported on this configuration".
This was a Win2K system on a T21 with a Fat32 1st disk partition.  I've
used the Win2K Hibernate mode and I don't know exactly what it does, but
it doesn't use the same thing IBM did, as I still can't Fn-F12 from my
FreeBSD v4.3-RELEASE installation.

It tried using the PS2.exe from a Win98 T21 here in the office to set
up the hibernation file, but no luck so far.  I've given up trying to
hibernate my T21 w/Win2K dual-boot.

Best of luck
K^2

> Oliver,
>
> I'm not sure I understand your response, but hopefully this will help.
>
> On my TP600 the hibernation file is a file within the FAT partition of
> Win95.  The BIOS can find this file if I suspend to disk from Win95 or
> from FreeBSD.  Under either operating system, I press Fn-F12 and the
> system suspends to disk.
>
> see http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/PFAN-3VXSNV.html
> [which says you need a fat16 or fat32 partition, not just ntfs]
>
> Did you search your harddrive for the file ps2.exe?  It is possible
> that it is there, but not in your path.  On my TP600 the file was at
> c:\thinkpad\ps2.exe.
>
> see http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/RMIE-3AXE3E.html
> [which has the ps2.exe install download]
>
> IBM ThinkPads have good support at www.pc.ibm.com, including a fine
> search facility.  Check it out.
>
> On the other hand, I should point out that FreeBSD's apm -z (or zzz)
> only suspends to RAM.  That's why I use the Fn-F12 combination.  Don't
> let that discourage you, unless IBM removed the ability to suspend to
> disk from the keyboard on your T20.
>
> Greg

Ken Key (key@cips.nokia.com, key@Network-Alchemy.com)
Nokia,  Clustered IP Solutions, Santa Cruz, CA