Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2001 13:51:18 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/sys bio.h

> As Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > >     sys/sys              bio.h
> > >   Log:
> > >   Define BIO_CMD{1,2}, available for local hacks, similar to the already
> > >   existing BIO_FLAG{1,2}.  To be used in the fdc(4) driver soon.
> >
> > Any reason you're not using the driver-private field instead?
>
> Because i need to fill in a cmd value anyway, and neither of the
> existing didn't fit well.  Maybe a single CMD_PRIVATE value would have
> sufficed, but i rather followed the other examples (CMD_FLAG{1,2}
> etc).

Neither of these was at all necesssary.

> Also, using a void * would have complicated matters pretty much.  It's
> invalid to abuse a void * as an int

Er, no it's not.

	void *foo;
	int bar;

	bar = (int)(uintptr_t)foo;

	foo = (void *)(uintptr_t)bar;

> , so i would have had to malloc a
> single 32-bit value somewhere since i can't use a variable located on
> the stack, and pass its address down in one of the void * field.

No.  Instead you've added more magic to the bio struct, heading straight
back towards turning it into the bloated monstrosity that the old buf
struct was.

If you need a private 'command' structure to pass stuff around inside
your driver, perhaps you should just create one?