Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:53:58 +0200
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/sys bio.h

As Mike Smith wrote:

> > # I think that's wrong C.  AFAIR, an arbitrary /pointer/ is allowed to
> > # be cast to a void *, and then cast back to just that arbitrary
> >
> > s/cast/assigned to/g

> Regardless, the above is both legal and desirable.

It might be desirable (depends on your point of view -- from a bit
saving POV, it is, from a portability POV, it ain't).  But we've
clearly shown that it is illegal.  C does not guarantee what will
happen.  And no, you don't get me to write code that is more
unportable than it needs to be.  Thus, i'd rather use one of the four
million spare values that is left in bio_cmd.