Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 16:06:07 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig wireless card options and DHCP

David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> probably said:
> * Have you looked at /etc/start_if.* & /etc/stop_if.*?

Yes, I don't feel they are appropriate to what I'm doing for a number
of reasons and also I don't want a million files, two for each
interface (and I use _lots_ of interfaces at different times on my
laptop), filling up /etc and not having access to the more generalised
configuration information that is elsewhere (rc.conf*).

> * First, consider that we're discussing this on -mobile -- implying
>   that a reasonable approach should probably handle a case where the
>   machine in question moves from one environment to another.

I've have personally dealt with that case by putting site specific
information into /etc/rc.conf.local. I don't hardcode things like this
and the reason I want this change is to more easily allow me to deal
with various interfaces in various different networks in a coherent
way.

>   But in any case, I confess I'm not very enthusiastic about a way to
>   hard-code parameters.

If I just wanted to hardcode the information I'd put it into
/etc/pccard.conf. I don't, I want it eaily changable. This is
trivially changable based on location and I have a couple of small
scripts to do so.

>   So my approach was closer to the 2nd of the above alternatives:  I
>   wrote a (Perl) script that uses a couple of files, one containing
>   information about different kinds of interfaces & how to specify

I do similar things, but they are sh scripts and don't fill /etc up as
much.

>   What I wrote up about the stuff is at
>   http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD; feel free to take a look....

I've looked at your stuff before. Two files in /etc for each network
interface ? No thanks.

>   (And I recall having heard a desire for pccard_ether to go away....)

It's there now, the change doesn't break existing functionality and
adds lots of functionality.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu