Date:      Sat, 07 Jul 2001 20:27:16 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net
Cc:        rh@matriplex.com, brian@Awfulhak.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wes@softweyr.com
Subject:   Re: Authentic FreeBSD (Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral)

Erm, as much I appreciate all these ideas for charging money for
various things, I really doubt that anyone in the FreeBSD project,
whether they're on the core team or on the Foundation board of
directors, really want to get into the "trademark for money" game or
really anything else that involves goods and services.

Straight donation-based fundraising works pretty well considering that
we don't have all that many things to spend money on anyway and,
surprisingly, it's been a constant challenge to find ways of directing
funding sources (be they Yahoo! funds or FreeBSD, Inc) money in
directions that are genuinely productive and can be somehow metered as
such.  It's often the case that actually tracking the effectiveness
of, say, $500 towards some theoretically worthy cause costs you
thousands of dollars in man-hours.  Heck, If somebody tried to donate
a million bucks to the foundation right now, I'd actually expect the
current directors to probably scream and run away. :-)

- Jordan