Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:08:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        m p <sumirati@yahoo.de>
Cc:        jasonf@citynet.net, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting a new filesystem to FreeBSD

Please read this document.  Your messages verge on the unreadable, and
it has taken me 5 minutes to tidy up the reply.

On Tuesday, 17 July 2001 at 12:14:17 +0200, m p wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 July 2001 at 12:25:29 +0200, m p wrote:

I can't see any differences between these two messages.  Was there
one?

>  --- Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> schrieb:
> On Tuesday, 17 July 2001 at 10:22:10 +0200, m p wrote:
>>> 2) What filesystem/booting-process/lvm-stuff is under development
>>> in -current?
>>
>> Vinum root file systems are just a SMOP away.  I had it running
>> over a year ago, but didn't have time to make some minor
>> modifications.
>
> In a statement (i don't remember where; a quick google search i
> didn't found it) a road-plan was described.  It mentioned a project
> hosted at www.freebsd/~??? (it was three letters i rember). There
> was a new layout for volumes and the boot process described.

I'm afraid you're going to have to quote these things correctly
yourself.  You can't expect other people to search for you.

>>> 4) How do i kernel programming (if needed)?
>>
>> I don't understand this question.
>
> I had never done kernel hacking before. (Perhaps the sentence above
> would read better this way: how do i do porgramming at the kernel
> level "the right way" tm?)  And yes, i will buy the book mentioned
> by Kris Kennaway some days ago at freebsd-questions " Design and
> Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System". Is there another
> good source about kernel hacking?

The 4.4BSD book will give you an understanding of the kernel
structure.  It won't help with kernel hacking.  If you haven't done
any kernel work before, porting a file system is probably overly
ambitious.  You should certainly join the FreeBSD-hackers list and
look through the lists at http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ and
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/contrib.html
and see if there's something interesting to work on there.

>>> 5) What _exactly_ is a filesystem?
>>
>> Well, I would think you would understand this already.  Or maybe
>> I'm misunderstanding your point.
>
> I don't know much about concepts behind that word.  What _exactly_
> means journaling? How is made sure, that the log-files to replay the
> action are consistent? etc. I heard about filesystems a little
> bit. It is a way to learn more about them. But to know more about
> that will make the work easier.

Again, perusal of the web pages will help.  Try
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jfs/ for a start.

>>> When these points are clear (worst case i have to do a research on
>>> all 5, best case only on point 1) i will start the project.
>>>
>>> Is there any big step i missed during
>> brainstorming?
>>
>> Well, maybe the magnitude of the project.  It's not easy, and even
>> the recently released Linux version of the file system has
>> significant "issues".
>
> As i mentioned: i've got plenty of time the next year working under
> the week somewhere else and living in a motel. No people i knew
> nearby. So coding will prevent me from looking to much tv. :)

Sounds like an ambitious project.  As I said, I can support you, but
you may find it more difficult than you bargained for.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.