Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 06:21:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Subject:   Re: -current kernel hangs?

>Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 02:48:10 -1000 (HST)
>From: Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>

>	With a July 18, 2001 sources, it seems like the kernel hands at
>the entropy harvesting stage.... ctrl-t shows:

>load : 098 cmd : sycctl  51 [running] 4.51u 210.37s 0% 172k

>        It will just sit there forever until ctrl-c is hit.  Anyone knows
>what's wrong?  Thanks.

This was discussed (to some extent) aboust a week & a half ago in -current.
It seems (pointed out by Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>)
that -- for some of us, at least -- "sysctl -a" (used in the entropy
harvesting by /etc/rc -- fails to terminate.

Also (again, for me) "sysctl -N -a" outputs a (non-terminating) stream of

	net.inet.accf.373

lines using my (slightly customized) kernel, but with GENERIC, it exhibits
similar behavior, but outputs a stream of

	net.inet.accf.372

lines.

Unfortunately, I'm not sufficiently clueful to figure out how the notion
of what sysctls exist on the system could get so confused as to do that.

Given the behavior, though, my current (wild) guess is that some code is
stomping on a data structure in a somewhat configuration-dependent way.

Clues would be quite welcome....

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.