Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:33:11 -0700
From:      Steve Lumos <slumos@nevada.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is "stable" "stable"?

Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>:
>Very well said.  This should be added to the handbook. :)

In fact, let's look at some key words from that chapter:

-CURRENT: "bleeding edge", "working sources", "un-compilable",
          "active testers"

-STABLE: "low key", "conservative", "commercial user",
         "fully compilable and stable"

There's also language in the -STABLE section that implies that bugs
are treated as emergency situations.  Do you *really* wonder why it's
"so difficult for people to understand"?

It is very easy for a reasonable person to read (or more likely skim
[tell me you don't do it]) the description of -STABLE in the handbook
and conclude that it means what it sounds like, and then feel
bamboozled when they get here.

Steve