Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:35:12 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        mike@adept.org
Cc:        jandrese@mitre.org, geniusj@bluenugget.net, mike@sentex.net, sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regarding hw.ata.wc="1"......

From: Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:53:02 -0700 (PDT)

> Unfortuneately then, the reason I chose FreeBSD (server-tuned OS) so
> many years ago is no longer valid.  Of course, I knew this would

What ridiculous, unsubstantiated flame-bait.  There are any number of
options that you can turn on or off, and FreeBSD shipped with wc ON
for a very long time without catastrophic effects.  It's only for a
very brief window in our history that we turned it *off*, and
everybody and their uncle then screamed that we'd just seriously
pessimized performance with no proof whatsoever that having it on had
ever caused data loss.  In areas where we're quite sure the opposite
is true, like async filesystem mounts, the defaults are and will
remain quite conservative.

Besides, anybody who wants reliability from an IDE drive without some
sort of hardware RAID assistance (like a 3Ware controller) has no clue
about creating a "server-tuned OS" from the hardware perspective
anyway, so this option is more or less irrelevant to them.  The
micky-mouse admins are just doing it as a hobby anyway so why take
their ravings that seriously?

You want a server, use SCSI drives at the very minimum and some sort
of RAID product on top of that if it's really genuinely a server.  The
hardware's cheap enough now that there's simply no excuse for not
taking such steps.  Enough said.

- Jordan