Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:39:03 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ancontrol/ifconfig and WEP index mixup ?

Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> probably said:
> It looks to me like your access point is transmitting with key 2
> rather then key 1.

You mean key 1 rather than key 0, but no, it isn't.

> At least, that's the most straightforward scenerio I can think of
> that explains this odd behavior.

I've only ever put one key into the access points and one key into the
client card. With a Lucent card and one key (the same one I'm adding
to the cisco card) it works fine, which would not happen if I was
transmitting with a different key from the access point.

It also doesn't explain why clearing key 0 with ancontrol actually
clears key 1, setting key 0 actually sets key 1, how key 0 got into
the ancontrol output that I cannot clear and why there is disagreement
between the ancontrol and ifconfig output.

] pir@disapp# ancontrol -C
[...]
] WEP Key status:
]         Key 0 is set 128 bits
]         Key 1 is set 128 bits
]         Key 2 is unset
]         Key 3 is unset
]         The active transmit key is 0

] pir@disapp# ifconfig an0
[...]
]        wepmode ON weptxkey 1
]        wepkey 1:128-bit

] pir@disapp# ancontrol -v 0 -k ""
] pir@disapp# ancontrol -C
[...]
]         Key 0 is set 128 bits
]         Key 1 is unset
]         Key 2 is unset
]         Key 3 is unset
]         The active transmit key is 0

They don't agree. I also can't clear the key that ancontrol says is hey 0.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu