Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 19:17:29 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
Cc:        All <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftp -- bug or feature?

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

Lev Serebryakov wrote:

>  I've tried to get full RFC list from one ftp site into file:
>=20
>  ftp>ls rfc* rfc.lst
>=20
>  After this command rfc. lst contain only 998 lines, but this ftp site
>  contain more than 2500 files, which match 'rfc*' mask.
>  After that I've tried other ftp client (FAR manager for Windows NT,
>  really) and it shows me full catalog -- more than 2500 files.
>=20
>  Is it bug or feature of FreeBSD's ftp?

Sounds to me more like the FTP server limits the number of filenames
returned by glob matching to limit the amount of resources used by the
ftpd process.

Wouldn't just "ls . rfc.lst" have a similar effect assuming the RFCs are
all in their own directory?  If there's other stuff in the directory
you'll just have to grep out the other stuff afterwards.

--=20
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org                 FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
                                                    http://www.FreeBSD.org/

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ