Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:20:46 -0700
From:      "Ralph N. Smith" <ralph@webcom.com>
To:        "Ralph N. Smith" <ralph@webcom.com>
Cc:        Josh Elsasser <josh@slack.nu>, Rob <europax@home.com>, "freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sony Vaio PCG-FX290

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 02:11:54PM -0700, Ralph N. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:18:57AM -0400, Josh Elsasser wrote:
> > I have a very similar laptop, an FX220, that I've recently installed
> > FreeBSD on.
> >
> > I was having some trouble with the ethernet with 4.3-RELEASE, but updating
> > to the latest 4.3-STABLE sources and rebuilding solved that.  Apparently
> > the fxp driver was updated sometime after 4.3-RELEASE.
> >
> > As for XFree86, that's something I haven't gotten working yet, at least in
> > FreeBSD.  I also have linux on the vaio, and XFree86 4.1 works just fine.
> > When I try to start X in FreeBSD, the display just goes blank and I have
> > to ssh in and kill -9 the X server.  I suspect that earlier versions of
> > XFree86 4 will work, but I haven't tried yet.
>
> I have the FX220 and had the same problem.  When I get home this
> evening (California) I will send the fix to the XF86Config file to get X
> working.

This works for XFree86 4.1.0_4 from the ports.

The problem was that the X server hung when executing the DDC module
which probes the VESA Display Data Channel.  Inserting Option "NoDDC"
into the i810 Device section turned off this probe, and X started right
up.  The appropriate snippet from XF86Config is:

Section "Device"
    Identifier	"i810"
    Driver	"i810"
    VideoRam	32768
    Option	"NoDDC"
    #VideoRam	4096
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

I am currently running this at 1024x768, 24 bits.

I also have agp_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf.

Ralph
--
Ralph N. Smith
ralph@webcom.com