Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 00:04:04 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-PORTS <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: How to tell when BUILD vs. RUN_DEPENDS is appropriate/more appropriate

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 08:12:14PM -0700, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> As I'm going through the list of broken "orphaned" ports on bento, I'm
> noticing that a number of ports (e.g. dhcpconf and flowscan) have
> mtree problems that appear to be related to PERL5 or PYTHON usage by a
> dependent port build.  However, the "parent" port does not seem to get
> credit for then underlying dependency on perl, python etc.

> Now, LIB_DEPENDS is (usually) pretty easy--if a port needs a library
> that's not already on the system, one is really going to know it when
> the linker fails.  But differentiating between a BUILD_DEPENDS and a
> RUN_DEPENDS seems to be a much grayer area.  How to resolve this such
> that not only does a port build correctly, but bento doesn't also
> complain about what appears to be the entire tree for python or perl
> not being in the pkg-plist.

There are two useful things which might be done.

First, I think it is a good idea to modify buildscript in such a way
that it will delete the BUILD_DEPENDS packages immediately before trying
to delete a package itself.  In this way, in the particular case of
dhcpconf, we'll get a clear indication that it is devel/newt which is
broken, not dhcpconf.  Thus, it will take much less time to find out
what's going on.

Second, instead of printing the extras and then the whole $prefix, it
makes sense to `expand' extras and print just them.

=Anton.
--
May the tuna salad be with you.