Date:      Wed, 08 Aug 2001 09:15:49 +0800
From:      Christopher Hall <hsw@acm.org>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.shutdown and SmartUPS

My machines have dumb UPS connected to COM2 and are monitored by a little
program that periodically checks the modem control lines.

After the UPS has been on battery power for a few minutes the program issues
a "shutdown -r now".

The boot loader runs some Forth code that checks the UPS status again
if still on battery power it sets the power down ups signal for 2
seconds then issues a normal boot.  (The UPS will not turn off if the
power came back on an the shutdown signal is applied)

I also set the BIOS to power on the ATX PSU when AC is restored.  The ups
also restart when power is reapplied.

Only one problem with a new microATX/Asus-A7S-VM/SiS/Duron system is
that when it powers back on the BIOS says that CPU speed incorrect and
prompts to change it.  I have not seen this problem with any of the other
systems.

In message <20010807161323.A33850@northernbrewer.com>,
  Christopher Farley writes:
>I've been testing my configuration of NUT (Network UPS Tool,
>/usr/ports/sysadmin/nut). Everything seems to be working quite well,
>however I'm having problems sequencing the powerdown of the UPS.
>I'd really like to use nut, because I have a wide variety of different
>UPSes in my organization, and many of them are dumb.
>
>I'm shutting down the UPS from /etc/rc.shutdown, however the UPS shuts
>down before the root partition is dismounted. This obviously defeats the
>purpose of a graceful shutdown!
>
>Does anybody shut down their UPS from rc.shutdown, and if so, how?
>
>--
>Christopher Farley
>www.northernbrewer.com

---