Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 04:50:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steven Enderle <enderle@mdn.de>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/29562: hier(7) still not very helpfull/exact

>Number:         29562
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       hier(7) still not very helpfull/exact
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
1) /usr/ is still discribed as "contains the majority of user utilities and applications"
   i think this will mislead to think about "usr" as a short for "user"
   Maybe the manpage should (IMHO) more correctly state "usr" as
   a short for "Unix System Resources".
   see google-> 'usr "Unix System Resources"'
   http://www.google.de/search?q=usr+%22Unix+System+Resources%22&hl=de&safe=off

2) it is unclear to me where to store special application data of my
   servers.
   in freebsd, it seems to be *scattered* around in the filesystem.
   ---
   examples: commonly i would guess to store, as the manpage states,
   "multi-purpose log, temporary, _transient_, and spool files" in /var.
   Although there is /usr/ports (which changes often in my point of
   view), /usr/obj and /usr/src, which seem to be very dynamic also.
   ok, someone could say its static if you don't cvsup it, but i
   think it is thought to do so. Not to talk about (some) installed
   ports (say, apache, samba, postgresql), which all save highly
   changing data under /usr/local.
   ---
   But to get at the point: Where should i save my special application
   data, such as big samba shares, data of custom applications, etc?
   Should i put it in /var/myapp, or simply in /myapp? /usr/myapp
   would also come into question ..... or /home/myapp which i see some-
   times also. Is there a standart defined?
   I think thats not as much as a *bug* as a problem between keyboard and
   chair on my side, but i guess it would be helpfull to some people to
   state something like 'thats the place where your data fits in' in
   the hier(7) manpage.

I am waiting for your comments

Thanks