Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 16:50:10 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Kevin Hui <khui@cs.toronto.edu>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Experiencing very slow raw write speeds on /dev/ad1

> Date: 	Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:17:55 -0400
> From: Kevin Hui <khui@cs.toronto.edu>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> > > Adding write caching helped a lot.  Now the write speed jumps to ~15.8MB/s
> > > instead of the previous 3.5MB/s.
> > > Are there any other such settings I should pay attention to?  I asked
> > > because I believe that the performance is still not as good as can be.  I
> > > have the rawio program running under Linux with the identical hardware
> > > (accessing the /dev/raw/raw0, which maps to /dev/hdb) and I got ~38.4MB/s
> > > raw write speed (BTW I get ~38.4MB/s from both Linux and FreeBSD when I do
> > > the single-process raw sequential read test).
> >
> > I'm a bit confused, where do the numbers differ and what are the numbers?
>
> The numbers from simple runs (standard chunk size, single I/O thread,
> sequential read and then sequential write) are provided below.  The
> FreeBSD write number is less than half of what Linux is getting.

OK. There are several things FreeBSD does that hut disk I/O
performance. All are done for reliability. Linux seems to mostly worry
about performance and not reliability.

1. For all but he root partition, turn on softupdate. This is done
with tunefs -n enable 'filesystem'. To do this, re-boot to single user
mode and use the tunefs command on each file system where you want
it. It is non-volatile, so it only should be done once for each file
system. You probably don't want to do this for root. It's normally not
going to help much and the delay in reclaiming deleted space can cause
problems there.

2. Mount the file systems as async. This is what Linux does. If there
is a failure, you might lose an entire file system or an entire disk
because of meta data inconsistency. Either a power failure or a crash
can be devastating, although it usually won't be.

I can't ever recommend running async in production, but for testing
against Linux, it's the only fair comparison.

I do recommend soft updates. They are safe and can substantially
improve performance. I'm still not sure why soft updates are not
default, but they may become default in the future, especially if
background fsck works. (Background fsck can only work with soft update
since a soft update system can safely run without an fsck.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)