Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:24:44 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Mark Peek <mark@whistle.com>
Subject:   Re: Cross builds and upgrade path from 4.x are broken in usr.bin

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 11:54:27AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 10-Aug-01 Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> >> Has this ever worked?
> >> Is it really a goal of the project to have it work?
> >>
> > Yes.  Imagine that you are rolling an Alpha release on an i386 box.
>
> You don't do that.  Cross releases need much more work before that is
> feasible.  As Mark mentions, there are many thigns that would need to be
> fixed.  Also, the release process would be hacked, and you still wouldn't
> have a true "clean room" release since you can't build a "clean room" to run
> a fresh world in.

But this doesn't mean we should add more to this breakage, if we can
avoid this.  Otherwise, you more and more complicate the task for
making this scenario possible.

> >> Your solution does not work. You're creating binary files in HOST
> >> format during the build phase and expecting things such as alignment
> >> and endianness to be the same as the TARGET format. Unless the tools
> >> are built to output for either the appropriate architecture or in a
> >> portable, binary format, you will have problems reading the file on
> >> the TARGET platform. It probably works for you since you're doing a
> >> 4.X->5.0 upgrade on the same platform.
> >>
> > What?  ``file -C'' produces different output on Alpha and on i386?
> > Are you sure?  (Haven't checked myself.)
>
> sparc64 is big endian.

So what?  There are utilities that produce MI binary output.
Apparently, this one does not.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,