Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:45:53 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable List <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   promiscuous but silent

I want to monitor the behavior of a firewall we're evaluating.  I'd
like to run Ethereal or tcpdump and/or other such tools on both
sides of the firewall, to convince myself it's doing what it claims
to do (and don't even ask why I think it isn't).

With one of those $25 four port hubs, I can get a FreeBSD notebook
in parallel with the firewall's input.  But I want to be absolutely
sure the notebook stays quiet.  That is, no ARP for its ownself when
bringing up the interface, nor responses to the network broadcast
address.  Nada.

But, tcpdump and friends need to be able to put the interface into
promiscuous mode and copy =all= the traffic it sees.

Should it be obvious how to do that, or is something tricky
involved?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com