Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:18:31 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Handbook section for laptops?

I just spent some time setting up FreeBSD on my laptop.  I had to go
through some pain (and I think most newbies would have just given up)
and it occurred to me that a section dedicated to laptops would be
useful.

Of course, I can only contribute information applicable to my own
machine and I know very little of laptops in general.  But if I make
the start, maybe others can add on to it and it may later become a
useful handbook chapter?  Or is someone already working on this?

The main problem areas are:

X11 -- while the card is often detected without problem, setting up
the monitor section correctly is tricky.  The standard XFree86 config
programs only give options for CRT monitors so it's not clear what is
applicable to a laptop.  I could write up what I did, with borrowings
from linux laptop sites.

PCMCIA -- this gave me some trouble (though it works fine now) and
doesn't seem to be covered in the handbook.  I could borrow basic
info from the manpages and write up the specific things I needed to
do.

Modems -- usually internal modems are winmodems, but how does one find
out?  If I try to test it with ppp, I just lock up the machine and
only a hard reboot cures it.

apm -- I haven't got it working properly yet.  Haven't investigated
much since it's low priority right now, but some handbook information
would be nice.

- Rahul.