Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:00:54 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Gerrit Kuehn <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with camcontrol rescan

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:47:25 +0200, Gerrit Kuehn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was told that the gurus who might be able to solve my problem are here... :-)
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.3-release and a TekRAM DC395U-SCSI-controller. Attached
> devices are a Yamaha CDRW (internal) and an Olympus PowerMO (external). I
> couldn't get the controller recognized by the drivers that came with FreeBSD,
> so I downloaded and installed this one:
>
> ftp://ftp.tekram.com/scsi/3X5/FreeBSD/FreeBSD400/dc395x_trm.tar.gz
>
> After that, SCSI worked fine for me (CDRW is reading and burning, MOD is
> working fine when it's probed while booting). The only thing that I'm having
> problems with is "camcontrol rescan" which I would like to use to turn the MOD
> off when I don't need it.
>
> "camcontrol rescan" simply hangs. It can't be quit, neither with CTRL-C nor
> with kill -9. I don't get any error-message. ps tells me that WCHAN is "cbwait
> D+". In this state, the bus is still working fine. I can still burn CDs,
> "camcontrol reset" is still working (at least is says so :-), "camcontrol
> devlist" is still giving the devicelist that was probed when booting.
> The same thing happens when booting without the MOD attached and without
> actually changing anything on the bus; rescan simply hangs.
>
> Is anybody here who can enlighten me whether I'm doing something wrong, TekRAMs
> driver is broken or something else?
> I was just about to buy a scanner, but as long as I can't get rescan to work I
> should better think about USB than SCSI (or maybe get a different, better
> supported controller before... ;-).

I would suspect the driver, but it's rather hard to say.  If you have
access to another SCSI controller (especially an Adaptec or LSI Logic-based
controller), it might be good to see if you can reproduce your problem with
a different controller.

It sounds like what is likely happening is that the controller isn't
returning some of the CCBs that are being sent down to scan the bus.  Since
the CCBs don't get returned, the rescan hangs forever.  This is just
speculation, though; I haven't looked at the driver.

One thing to try, if you haven't already, is just rescan the bus/target/lun
that the device is on.  (See the output of camcontrol devlist to determine
that.)

i.e.:

camcontrol rescan 0:4:0

instead of