Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:25:41 -0700
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD hackers list <FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org>, nik@freebsd.org, mi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building 'release' and compiling doc ports

--==_Exmh_1838750162P

If memory serves me right, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:05:16AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > If memory serves me right, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > > I get the impression that even if a machine has the necessary docproj
> > > buildtools ports installed a 'make release' builds them from scratch
> > > again? Is this true? And why?
> >
> > Yes, it's true.  We need to rebuild the docproj ports inside the chroot
>
> Why? Why can't the docs not be generated using the tools installed on the
> system?

Because at the time the docs get installed in the chroot area, the
chroot has already taken place, and the build processes can't access
that part of the filesystem anymore.

Skipping ahead in your message a bit, you don't *need* to go through
this pain.  "NODOCS=YES" is your friend.

> > area.  There's one optimization made...anything in /usr/ports/distfiles
> > gets copied to the the chroot area's /usr/ports/distfiles.  This can
> > save needing to fetch the distfiles for all of the docproj ports all
> > over again.
>
> And it appears to be broken too:
>
> In file included from gdcache.h:43,
>                  from gdft.c:35:
> /usr/include/malloc.h:2: warning: #warning "this file includes <malloc.h>
> which is deprecated, use <stdlib.h> instead"
> gdft.c:36: freetype/freetype.h: No such file or directory
> gdft.c:37: freetype/ftglyph.h: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/gd/work/gd-1.8.4.
> *** Error code 1
>
> this is because 'gd' does not depend correctly on 'freetype2'
>
> a plain 'make' on the docproj port on Alpha fails in an identical fashion.

Grrrr.  Is it possible that mi's recent commit to ports/graphics/gd/Makefile
introduced a typo in LIB_DEPENDS ("freetype" instead of "freetype.7")?
Or is there some syntax here I am just missing?  Either way this needs
to be fixed.

> <sigh; I want a working .iso to test the booting issue that plagued us>

make NODOC=YES ?

I know that's not the "real" answer.

> Why not depend the make release on 'docproj-v.foo' and be done with it?
> And if it is lacking docproj and cannot build it either just continue the
> make release and leave the docs out?

You don't *have* to build with docs.  Just set NODOC=YES, as described
in src/release/Makefile and you're ready to go.  Really.  If you're in
a hurry, you could also set NOPORTS=YES.

> gcc sucks on Alpha and hence the performance of it all leaves a bit to
> be desired. [understatement alert]

I'm not going there.

Hang in there....

Bruce.