Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 09:53:21 +0200
From:      Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed Utility - detach(1)

[ replying to the total thread ]

BSD/OS already has daemon(8) for years that just runs daemon(3).

I don't think it is necessary to change nohup, and go with the way BSD/OS
did it.

Mark

ps. the manpage:

daemon(8)                 BSD System Manager's Manual                daemon(8)

NAME
     daemon - run detached from the controlling terminal

SYNOPSIS
     daemon [-cf] command arguments ...

DESCRIPTION
     The daemon utility detaches itself from the controlling terminal and
     exec(3)'s  the program specified by its arguments.

     The options are as follows:

     -c      Change the current working directory to the root (``/'').

     -f      Redirect standard input, standard output and standard error to
             /dev/null.

     The daemon utility exits 1 if an error is returned by the daemon(3) li-
     brary routine, otherwise 0.  If the command cannot be exec'd, an error
     message is displayed on standard error unless the -f flag is specified.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 02:19:55PM -0400, Mike Barcroft wrote:
> I would appreciate comments on the usefulness of a utility which would
> allow one to detach a process from a TTY.  I imagine the utility would
> be very small and just call daemon(3) and execlp(3).
>
> Would a utility like this be useful?  Is this functionality already
> available in a system utility?
>

> Best regards,
> Mike Barcroft

Mark Santcroos				RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/		New Projects Group/TTM