Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:17:08 -0400
From:      Keith Stevenson <keith.stevenson@louisville.edu>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should URL's be pervasive.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:10:18AM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> I ran into a pair of all too common annoyances this morning that
> got me thinking.  Via the magic of cut and paste I ended up with
> the following two sorts of command lines:
>
> mutt mailto:bicknell@ufp.org
> traceroute http://www.ufp.org/
>
> These of course come from the 'copy link location' available in
> most browsers.  When pasted into most Unix commands (with the
> exception of fetch and lynx, of course) the result is something
> that just doesn't work.  This got me thinking, should all commands
> know how to take an URL, and 'do the right thing'?  Could this
> be made easy by providing a standard URL parsing library that
> all commands could use for parsing?

Ick. If I wanted this kind of integration I would run Windows, KDE, or GNOME
instead of my nice, stable, predictable, lightweight desktop environment.

In my opinion, the "URLification" of the user environment would be a negative
unless there were a very easy way to turn it completely off.

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville