Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:43:00 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
To:        Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should URL's be pervasive.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 09:58:21AM -0700, Richard Hodges wrote:
> > On the other hand, what exactly is http://www.ufp.org supposed to be useful
> > for when www.ufp.org is the same thing.
>
> Why not parse it literally?  For instance, http://www.ufp.org
> would imply TCP, dest port 80, and host www.ufp.org.
>
> For ping, that would imply that I want to test the three-way
> handshake on whatever is listening on port 80 at www.ufp.org

Do you have *ANY* clue how ping works???  It doesn't use TCP, for
starters...

> For traceroute, I want to send a series of TCP SYN packets to
> www.ufp.org, port 80 with increasing TTL values.  Perhaps this
> would be a way to test connectivity to a service behind a firewall.

Do you know how traceroute works??  For one, the destination host cannot
be listening on the port used.  And you know that each progressive
traceroute packet sent out bumps the destination port by one, to help
trace the ICMP "time exceeded" / "port unreachable" responses.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)