Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:36:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        marius@alchemy.franken.de
Subject:   Re: Solid hangs caused by pcm

In article <20010907032058.A33679@alchemy.franken.de>,
 <marius@alchemy.franken.de> wrote:
> > screwdriver-in-the-ISA-slot trick.  We're talking hit the reset button
> > here.
>
> uhm, a bit off-topic, but how das that trick work ? is it about triggering
> an hardware interrupt? is it documented somewhere ?

On most (but not all) motherboards, you can generate an NMI by
shorting a certain pair of pins in an ISA connector.  If you try this
and fry your motherboard, don't complain to me.  The pins to short
together are the two ISA pins (one on each side of the slot) nearest
the back of the case (where the external connectors are).  Don't do
this on a PCI slot.  Be careful that you short the pins only to each
other, and not to anything else.

If it works, the NMI will drop you into ddb.

John