Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 00:59:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FIXME! snd_pcm.ko kernel panic

Just wanted to point out that the snd_pcm kernel module is unloadable
while the sound device is in use, causing a total wipeout of the operating
system whenever the last application relinquishes the sound device.

Also, modules such as snd_pcm.ko are loadable while their compiled in
counterparts are present in the kernel, causing similar issues; a modular
kernel needs some significant work done on it with respect to safegaurding
the load/unload of modules, when they're required, and when they're not to
be loaded at all.

On the plus side, the module, when loaded alongside snd_via82c686.ko,
plays sound without a skip since the -RC releases of FreeBSD came out. I
can now remove my ISA sound card and use the onboard sound again!

Please try to include some sort of fix before -RELEASE; to replicate the
issue, do this:

Compile a kernel with no sound devices whatsoever; my system uses the
VIA82C686C chipset, use similar if possible.

snd_via82c686_load="YES" in loader.conf; play a sound using mpg123 or
similar program

kldunload snd_pcm.ko, ctrl-c mpg123

The system will go down either immediately after the sound stops, or when
trying to play another.

Thanks,
Brad

// -- http://www.BRAD-X.com/ -- //