Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 20:47:57 -0500
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>, security at FreeBSD <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dynamic Firewall/IDS System, Was: portsentry's stealth mode - works under fBSD with ipf?

On Sep 16, at 01:47 AM, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:

> Krzysztof Zaraska(kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl)@2001.09.15 16:16:26 +0000:
> > On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> [...]
> > > By way of further explanation, the cron'd script analyzes the read in
> > > log entries for blocked source IPs that either hit on the box a smallish
> > > number of times, each hit within a defined frequency (port scans and DOS
> > > attempts), or hit on the box at all a larger number of times (for more
> > > general idiocies).
> > There's an add-on for snort, called Guardian that reads the alert log file
> > in tail -f style (every 1 second IIRC) and updates firewall ruleset. I'm
> > not sure if it supports ipf right now but should be easily hackable (it's
> > a Perl script).
> >
> > Personally, I'd rather use snort than portsentry since this is a more
> > flexible and powerful solution. And it can detect "stealth" port
> > scans under FreeBSD (verified personally). Basing on your description I
> > think it would suit your needs. See http://www.snort.org/
>
> who else, besides me, would be interested in having a dynamic system for
> blocking/ratelimiting based on ids or packetfilter output and the like?

Well. I am, obviously.

> i am not talking perl here, rather implementing a native p2p or client
> server framework which does this, including crypted communications and
> policy based remote firewall configuration (perhaps ipfilter as
> proof-of-concept basis). it should run realtime (not cron or whatever
> exec() based scheduler) as a native event handler. it should be modular
> in design, to be able to add input and output handlers and to have a
> good choice of logging/alerting features.

FreeBSD already has dummynet for rate limiting, and two firewall techno-
logies.

The encryption stuff seems disjointed. That seems like another topic
altogether.

> i already got lots of ideas for it, but haven't gotten around to
> implement something yet, and after a long time of being a quite passive
> member of the *bsd community, this would be an interesting project i
> would like to contribute design, ideas and code and more.

My first post was a simple Q to see if all of portsentry's features were
available on FreeBSD (the answer appears to be "No.").

Krzysztof snipped off the last sentence of that post, where I thought
about putting my script's logic into portsentry, or maybe even ipmon.

What I currently have is a working proof-of-concept for what I want. I
browsed the source to ipmon today, and there's ample room for me to hack
at it. Yes, I need userland.

> tell me if you are interested in developing such a thing from scratch,
> together...

I don't think this is necessary. It seems, to me anyway, redundant to
existing technologies. Does any OS need three firewalls in its base?

All I want is what I've got proven, but to move it into a daemon for
something more realtime; I've got it down to 2 minute intervals via cron,
but that's not frequent enough, and draws too many resources for what
it does at that interval.

Myself, I think I'll decline active participation in such a project.
I've got a pretty well defined criteria, and it's small. With this, my
needs will be met. I can daemonize it over a weekend.

Besides, aren't you [basically] describing snort?

> ...and include a short description of your skills, programming
> languages and os platform you're on, if you like.

P/A and Systems Admin by profession. C, shell, awk, sed, m4. FreeBSD, QNX,
Linux, and a little Solaris. X11R5/6.

> /k

Let me know how and where things go, though,
Dave

--

It took the computing power of three C-64s to fly to the Moon.
It takes an 800Mhz P3 to run Windows XP. Something is wrong here.