Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 01:47:42 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
Cc:        D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>, security at FreeBSD <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Dynamic Firewall/IDS System, Was: portsentry's stealth mode - works under fBSD with ipf?

--7cm2iqirTL37Ot+N

Krzysztof Zaraska(kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl)@2001.09.15 16:16:26 +000=
0:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
[...]
> > By way of further explanation, the cron'd script analyzes the read in
> > log entries for blocked source IPs that either hit on the box a smallish
> > number of times, each hit within a defined frequency (port scans and DOS
> > attempts), or hit on the box at all a larger number of times (for more
> > general idiocies).
> There's an add-on for snort, called Guardian that reads the alert log file
> in tail -f style (every 1 second IIRC) and updates firewall ruleset. I'm
> not sure if it supports ipf right now but should be easily hackable (it's
> a Perl script).=20
>=20
> Personally, I'd rather use snort than portsentry since this is a more
> flexible and powerful solution. And it can detect "stealth" port
> scans under FreeBSD (verified personally). Basing on your description I
> think it would suit your needs. See http://www.snort.org/

who else, besides me, would be interested in having a dynamic system for
blocking/ratelimiting based on ids or packetfilter output and the like?

i am not talking perl here, rather implementing a native p2p or client
server framework which does this, including crypted communications and
policy based remote firewall configuration (perhaps ipfilter as
proof-of-concept basis). it should run realtime (not cron or whatever=20
exec() based scheduler) as a native event handler. it should be modular
in design, to be able to add input and output handlers and to have a
good choice of logging/alerting features.

i already got lots of ideas for it, but haven't gotten around to=20
implement something yet, and after a long time of being a quite passive=20
member of the *bsd community, this would be an interesting project i=20
would like to contribute design, ideas and code and more.

tell me if you are interested in developing such a thing from scratch,
together, and include a short description of your skills, programming
languages and os platform you're on, if you like.

/k

--=20
> Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile. --Karl Lehenbauer
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--7cm2iqirTL37Ot+N

--7cm2iqirTL37Ot+N--