Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:21:42 -0700
From:      Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recent changes to libdialog are weird

> Recently, libdialog's use of tab, space and enter seems to have changed.
> Now, space and enter mean the same thing.  Before, enter was a
> context-insensitive short-cut to the currently selected dialogue
> "submit" button.

There's nothing context-insensitive about libdialog. Pressing enter does
not submit the network interface configuration form.

> What many folks may not realize is that the new behaviour, while "safer"
> than what we had before, makes libdialog behave differently from at
> least Motif, Windows, JavaAWT, JavaSwing.

It seems to me that in popular toolkits, one moves the curson over the
desired component and presses a button. To do this with a keyboard, tab is
used to move the cursor, and space is used to press a button.

> So what we have now is a libdialog that protects the finger-happy, while
> confounding those who expect "pretty standard behaviour".

What we have now, at best, is an interface that is usable by someone with
no proir experiance. At worst, it is an archaic interface, but has
behaviour that is documented on the very screen on which it is implemented
(at least in the case of sysinstall), and thus is no worse than what we had
before.

> I reckon if sysinstall needs to be weird, sysinstall should use its own
> weird version of libdialog and leave the distributed libdialog alone.

This would be disasterous.