Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:36:43 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   got bad cookie vp 0xe2e5ef80 bp 0xcf317328

I'm starting to see errors in /var/log/messages under 4.2-RELEASE:

  Sep 23 00:31:17 bmdb1 /kernel: got bad cookie vp 0xe2e5ef80 bp 0xcf317328

Not many, but more than one, and I've never seen this in my years
of using FreeBSD.

The code producing this message is in /usr/src/sys/nfs/nfs_bio.c,
with this associated comment:

                        /*
                         * Yuck! The directory has been modified on the
                         * server. The only way to get the block is by
                         * reading from the beginning to get all the
                         * offset cookies.
                         *
                         * Leave the last bp intact unless there is an error.
                         * Loop back up to the while if the error is another
                         * NFSERR_BAD_COOKIE (double yuch!).
                         */

Is this an error that I need to worry about?  Is this just my NFS
client loosing track of some bookkeeping details?

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842