Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:53:34 -0400
From:      Robert Hough <rch@acidpit.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ng_bridge

Yesterday, I used a script on my bridge that pretty much brought down
the entire network segment it was connected to. The script in question,
was found in /usr/share/examples/netgraph -- called 'ether.bridge'. I
modified the script, and ran it -- boom. Problems galore!

At the time, the bridge did *not* function correctly. I was using a
couple of cards that didn't support bridging. I have since corrected
this, and on a smaller network repeated the same steps. This time,
everything is working correctly.

My question, is really this. Does anyone have an idea as to why this
caused so much trouble to begin with, and how can I protect my network
from allowing this to happen again?

--
Robert Hough (rch@acidpit.org)