Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:40:54 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP&IP cksum offload on FreeBSD 4.2

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>
> > Geez.  All I wanted to do was pat Jonathan on the back for coming up
> > with what is apparently the most flexible and well though out
> > mechanism out there.
>
> it's great work. I was mainly curious to see if anyone had measured this
> kind of problem.
>
> Thanks

The paper that someone mentioned earlier in this thread had some
statistics on various classes of errors.  In a nutshell, they put
packet sniffers on 4 different networks, and collected traffic.  For
each back packet (where the checksum and ethernet CRC differed), they
then looked for retransmissions of the same data, and tried to characterize
the different failure modes they observed.

It's very interesting reading.

louie