Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 10:10:04 -0500
From:      Bart Kus <bsd@shell-server.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   sio modification

	Hello, I'm wondering about a seemingly simple sio.c modification.  The
problem stems from me wanting to use this dang remote control receiver, which
manipulates the CD line of the serial port it plugs into.  Afaik, the UART
itself is capable of generating an interrupt whenever CD changes.  The
problem is, sio.c doesn't support this feature.  I'm stuck with polling the
status register to find out the state of CD.  Not a very good solution for a
daemon that's supposed to run in the background all the time, especially
since the CD line will be toggled at about 40kHz (I think that's the remote
control frequency standard).  Perhaps I'm wrong about the 40kHz figure.

	Anyways, who is in charge of sio.c?  Any change I make to it would result in
the interface to sio changing, so I think I should collaborate with someone
who knows what they're talking about when it comes to sio.

		--Bart