Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:42:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aviplay with 24-bit color depth?

Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com> wrote:
 > OK, I see now that xvinfo shows 16 bits as the highest bits per pixel
 > format it supports, so apparently it's a limitation of the savage driver.
 > :-(

No!  The output from your xvinfo looks perfectly fine.

Note that the list of "image formats" is what can be used
as _input_ to the xvideo extension.  This is not what can
be oused as actual output to the screen.

For example:

 >      id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
 >      guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
 >      bits per pixel: 12
 >      number of planes: 3
 >      type: YUV (planar)

This is a 2x2-subsampled YUV input format, i.e. separated
chrominance / luminance information, with chrominance
using half the resolution.  There is 8 bit of luminance
(Y) information per pixel, and 16 bit of chrominance
information (8 bit U, 8 bit V) per 4 pixels (2x2 square),
thus you get 12 bits per pixel overall.  This is exactly
the format that's typically used in MPEG video streams.

In fact, your list seems to be identical to mine.  As I
wrote, I also have an S3 Savage (MX), and it works fine
with aviplay and mplayer in 32 bit mode.

The important thing in the `xvinfo` output is this:

 >    supported visuals:
 >      depth 24, visualID 0x21

If you get the same, it _should_ work.

Regards