Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:36:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      carl@bl.echidna.id.au
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au, rguyom@pobox.com, vance@aurema.com
Subject:   IPv6, IPF and NetBSD

My appologies, it seems IPv6 and NetBSD 1.5.3 alpha (I CVS'uped the latest
1.5 code on the weekend) does not have kernel hooks for IPv6 and
IPF (just like OpenBSD 2.9, alas).  At least ipf doesn't need
hacking to use IPv6 :)  Just the kernel needs the hooks :-/

the NetBSD people are aware of it, it's listed as a bug,
see http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2001/06/11/0003.html

As far as I can tell, that kernel code is pure kame, not
in the 1.5 branch of NetBSD, so I wasn't game to patch ip6_forward.c, it didn't
look similar enough to patch.  I don't know yet when it'll get rolled in :-/
Does anyone nkow the story?

so, for the moment, it looks like FreeBSD may be the best (only)
IPv6 firewall on *BSD.  I'm reliably informed that OBSD 3.0 will have
PF fully supporting IPv6, but it's very new ...

Carl