Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:56:51 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        uid0@catastrophe.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OmniBook XE3

--==_Exmh_2039284106P

> I was wondering if anyone had any success installing FreeBSD on an
> HP OmniBook XE3. I've one in my posession and would like to run
> FreeBSD.
>
> I've been able to install the whole thing via the network, but running
> things like XFree86 are a bit questionable, APM eludes me, etc..
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.

X11:

What chip id does it probe during boot? HP are shipping ATI Radeon Mobility
LY's (aka the M6) chips in the 6100, which currently need to run a development
version of XFree to get support for (or you could try forcing the 'ChipId' in
XFree86.config').

XFree86 CVS from a week ago, (~v4.1.99.1) had support, but there were slight
issues with the panel recognition code, which should be committed soon - until
then a 3 line patch to force 1400x1050 works fine for me.

APM:

What problems are you seeing? You need to enable 'apm' in the kernel config,
build/install the new kernel and enable 'apmd' (e.g. 'apmd_enable=YES' in
'/etc/rc.conf').

There may be issues when suspending ATI cards in graphics mode (from text mode
works fine, some patches to address this can be found in:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=28026, but I guess these aren't
much liked).

To suspend (hibernate) to the disk partition (which works fine on the Omnibook
5xxx & 6xxx machines I've tried), you'll need an appropriate partition. Make
it the first partition, use a whole number of cylinders to get the desired
size (remember you'll need to save the video RAM and all the system memory),
partition type 160 hex. Or just set it up from the Product Recover CD.

Sound:
Maestro3 sound needs to be kldloaded into the kernel, you can pre-load this
with 'snd_maestro3_load=YES' in '/boot/loader.conf' - however, this has never
survived a suspend/resume for me, although it will survive a standby/resume
(does this work for *anyone*, BTW?)

Disk:

What controller Id does it probe? HP are shipping a new controller in the 6100
which seems to work as a 'Generic' controller - until you attempt to resume it
from a suspend. Frobbing the code to treat it as an ICH2 Mobile ATA controller
works for me:

HTH.

AS

--==_Exmh_2039284106P