Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:05:21 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@schoolnet.org.za>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding support for Duxbury PCI modem to FreeBSD 4.4

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0110160822010.16625-100000@xena.gsicomp.on.ca> Matthew Emmerton writes:
: On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Peter van Heusden wrote:
:
: > On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 09:35:58AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
: > > In message <9DCF7A9E7AD27A4F962A37F7E78607B10CFAEC@ukhokho.ct.schoolnet.org.za> "Peter van Heusden" writes:
: >
: > I'm having a look at the Linux 2.4 kernel code, since they apparently
: > have winmodem support (including for the SM56 chipset, which is now
: > no longer supported by Motorola - double Aaaargh!), but will probably
: > have to go with an external modem, since it seems to be impossible to
: > get internal PCI non-winmodems.
:
: 3Com makes a PCI "hardware" (non-Winmodem) modem.

I've seen only 3 hardware pci modems.  All are based on the lucent
"kermit" chipset, but 3com PCI FaxModems have their own id.

Well, I take that back.  There's at least one pccard based pci modem.
There is a PLX part that glues the pccard bus to the pci ala some of
the wi adapters.  And there's an old modem chipset on the card.  These
were made out of surplus parts and I never saw them in real channels
(and to be honest, only consulted in writing a driver at the high
level for them, I've not put one in a machine or had one in hand).

I'm not sure that the SurfRider that's listed in the driver really is
a hardware modem.  All the other cards should likely be moved to my
puc bridge driver, but until I have that working, it is best to leave
things alone. :-)  One problem with sio is that you can't have
different clock chip rates than the default.  Some multiport boards
have faster xtals that allow higher data rates :-(.

Warner