Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:58:13 +0200
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>(by way of Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   spontaneous crashes with STABLE

The last week I have had several spontaneous crashes. So I've followed some
advice (compiling the kernel with 'makeoptions DEBUG=-g' and activating
savecore).

Now, I've got some core-images, but since I'm not a programmer I really don't
know what to do with them. Tried following some of the steps outlined in
developers-handbook but I just got some errors, eg.:

root:/sys/compile/MEKANIX$ gdb -k
GNU gdb 4.18
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd".
(kgdb) symbol-file kernel.debug
kernel.debug: No such file or directory.
(kgdb) exec-file /var/crash/kernel.0
(kgdb) core-file /var/crash/vmcore.0
kernel symbol `IdlePTD' not found.

and this:

root:/sys/compile/MEKANIX$ gdb -k kernel /var/crash/kernel.0
GNU gdb 4.18
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...(no debugging symbols
found)...
IdlePTD 1818979945
initial pcb at 4035e0
panic messages: