Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:19:50 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc group master.passwd

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 09:41:36 -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

> I request that the www user and group be backed out.  If we had a web server in
> the base system, this might be different (like the bind user and the presently
> non-existent but potential sendmail/smtp/mail user), but since web servers are
> currently all in ports, the ports install is where the user add belongs.

Look, we already have "pop" user in the system under the same conditions
and you don't complain for years.

The second thing is that it will be easy to transfer web server from
machine to machine or run in NFS'ed environment for single uid case.
Picking random UID produce nightmare for all of that.

The third thing that we almost have Apache in the system, at least at
sysinstall level which especially tuned for it.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/