Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:28:00 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Playing DVD

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen said on Oct 18, 2001 at 19:33:08:
> *Xine*
>
> Isn't it possible to compile it with decss-support (libdvdread?)?

It's possible to get libdvdcss support.  See
http://members.home.nl/mphm.janssen/linuxvideo/linuxvideo.html

I have it working, but my sound is out of sync with the video
(strangely, the sound lags the video by around 1-2 secs so it's not
that the machine is too slow for video playing).  I think, but I'm not
sure, that this started happening only after I upgraded XFree86 to a
CVS version; but other software has no problem.  I'll give the new
version of xine (0.9.2) a shot soon.

As to the sound -- the scratchy sound seems like something I've seen,
ie the freebsd driver has problems upsampling/downsampling sound, and
when downsampling it gives exactly the sort of noise you describe.
(When upsampling it only gives a slight but annoying distortion.)
I suspect your dvd outputs audio at 48000 Hz while your sound card
accepts at some different frequency like 44100 Hz.

In such cases I use kde's artsd to up/downsample.  (Make sure it's
running with the sample rate set to whatever's correct for your sound
card, then start your audio program using artsdsp, eg
artsdsp xine
or, when possible, configure the program to directly output sound to
artsd)

> *Videolan*
>
> Nice one with decss. Sound, as poor as Xine though.

Could be same problem as above.  On my machine videolan's performance
is extremely poor.  mplayer and xine are far better.

> mplayer have *almost* become my prefered dvd-player if it wasn't for one big
> showstopper: I can't select another audio-stream, I'm stuck with whatever

Answered already by others...

> And then there is the same widescreen issues as with vlc with a twist. If I
> run mplayer with -gui I loose widescreen, but it still decodes for
> widescreen, so I'm getting long faces.

You seem to be right.  So don't use the gui :)

- Rahul